Tuesday, June 17, 2008

kids, music, and me?


I got a new church calling. Yep -- I am the new Primary Chorister. WOW. My jaw dropped when they asked me. His reply was, "what is it you are you worried about?" Are you kidding? I am worried about EVERYTHING -- the creativity required, the tiny population of kids (maybe 1o or 15 in the whole primary), knowing all the songs, and of course the dreaded program..which is coming up quick in September...just in time for the other sister currently in charge to move out of the ward and for me to attempt to take over. Ya. That's going to be funny!

I know it will be a challenge, and since I love kids, of course I will have fun -- I think I am still just in the shocked/overwhelmed stage thinking of all the stuff I need to plan to make the kids really excited about singing. The Lord has asked me to do this...so I am sure he will help out, too! If anyone has suggestions or ideas of things they have done....I am way open to hear anything!

15 comments:

Chris and Amanda Beckstead said...

Jaci...are you kidding me? You are the most talented person I know. You love kids and music! I'm super excited for you and I'm sure that you will have the best program ever!

Larson Family said...

Check out sugardoodle.net They have so much great Primary stuff, even singing stuff! Good luck!

Suzy

Kristi said...

Jaci - this is one of my callings in our ward here as well!! We don't have a whole lot of primary kids in our ward either. Don't even worry - you'll do great. Just have lots of enthusiasm and energy when you're up there and the kids will listen to what you have to say! You'll learn the songs quicker and easier than you think. The kids will too. I find alot of great ideas on sugardoodle.net. It can actually be a very fun calling and it is so rewarding to hear when the kids have finally learned a song and they sing it with all of their hearts. If you ever need help or ideas, let me know! i'm more than happy to help where I can. You'll be great!

{amy k.} said...

Oh yea! How fun for you! You will be amazing at this, I'm sure of that. I've seen quite a few tips and ideas on a site I look for yw info on... www.sugardoodle.net

Check it out, hope it helps!

Ann's ART said...

HELLO???? What are you talking about? If I were thinking of a calling that would suit you most perfectly, it would be Primary Chorister. Although you could be Gospel Doctorine Teacher, Relief Society Pres or Camp Director....the list could go on!

Kelli Nicholls Designs said...

You will be so great! After being in the Primary, I realized that teaching the kids though music is the best way to reach the kids! Good Luck! You will be awesome.

Blair and Lyndsay said...

That is perfect for you! You are going to be such a cute chorister! Love ya!

anne said...

You will do awesome! I just barely got called to be the 2nd counselor in primary. I was totally overwhelmed too. But I went to the stake meeting and they had some suggestions for the chorister. They said that kids learn by repetition and they learn better with NO accompaniment. It'll totally be embarrassing, but I think the kids will learn better and quicker if you sing the song to them first and help them repeat it. Think about it...that's how you learn stuff when you're little like the ABC's and Twinkle Twinkle Little Star...your mom sings is over and over. So, just a suggestion. You totally don't have to do it...it would take a lot of courage for me to do that.

Christy said...

My sis was the primary chorister for years and she came up with some really really creative ideas (she and I are not alike in that area haha) but I could scrounge some up for you :)

Congrats on the calling! I know you'll love it and be great for it!

Kami said...

Jace, you will be great! I was going to post that you should check out sugardoodle.net, but I'm sure you already have. Sounds like that's the place to go!

Adri said...

Jaci, you are going to be GREAT. I've never been the chorister, but in my experience in Primary WATCHING her, I think the best things are usually the simplest...so don't stress about doing too much. Vanessa has been the Primary Chorister many a time...call her for GREAT ideas!

Mike and Kim said...

Oh Jaci, you will do awesome! I can totally see you doing that calling. You just hang in there and be confident in yourself. The Lord will be there with you! I know first hand from when I was called to the nursery. I felt completely inadequate!

Fay said...

Juice, you have been practicing for this calling almost since birth! You will do GREAT!!! Love you!

Erika said...

My husband had that calling in our last ward, he didn't want to make posters or anything-not into all that creativity either. He just did a lot of actions and really tried to explain to the kids what the songs meant, he shared his testimony a lot and told mission stories in conjunction with songs he was teaching. You'll do great!

Mary Croxford said...

Jaci, you just got one the best callings in the ward. (I call it the "play" calling!) The children are so much fun to be with. They pretty much love everything you do! I do remember my first primary program and how stressed and worried I was, don't waste your energy on that! I soon learned that there is NEVER a bad primary program. The kids always make it so sweet! Have fun, you will be great and if you need any ideas at all call me! Hugs and good luck!